Friday, February 27, 2009

Lesson plans, 3/2 - 3/8/09: Gardening, alphabet decorations, and bunk-bed shopping

For the next couple of weeks I think we're going to keep things rather light and unstructured while we focus on setting up for a more structured environment. For now, I'm just going to work on some projects with the girls to help us build a fun homeschooling environment. Eventually, we'll probably move to something more structured.

First of all, I'm dying to start a garden. I don't want all of it to be part of homeschooling, but I definitely would like to involve the girls at least in planting the small kitchen garden right outside the window. Gardening seems like an appropriate preschool science and home economics exercise that we can do all summer. That will be our plan for any days with good weather.

Secondly, I want to get the ABC's posted somewhere in our house, and have the girls help us make them. Maybe we'll color and cut out letters from coloring sheets from the Internet and paste them on bright construction paper. Ideally, I'd like to have the ABC's lining the wall in our future "homeschool room" and also on magnets on our fridge. And the crafty side of me wants to make our own magnets.

Finally, I want to take the girls shopping with me for what will hopefully be the next week's big project: Building bunk beds in their closet. Toddlers with tools, Oh My! I'd like them to get a feel for how you go about organizing and planning a big project like this, then next week they can see what is involved in actually doing the project. Plus a Home Depot will be full of all kinds of learning opportunities - house parts, how things are made, shapes, tools, and listening when Mom and Dad tell you to stop climbing all over the lumber.

Check back on March 7th, when I will post on how this week's plan actually went. This is a lot to do with preschoolers in one week, and I'm not sure how much we will really get done.

Edit, 3/6/2009: Fixed the date in the title. Wow, it took me a whole week to notice I had the date a month off!

No comments:

Post a Comment